Friday, December 30, 2011

Cool book: The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt

One of the coolest presents I received for Christmas is a book I had never heard of before, The Scrapbook of Frankie Pratt: A Novel in Pictures by Caroline Preston. As someone who is crazy about picture books, loves vintage ephemera, and is fascinated the type of romance stories found in pre-1970s girls' comic books, I am enamored of this book. I feel like it was written specifically for me!

Just like the title indicates, the book is designed in a scrapbook style of clippings, letters, portraits, and photos of ephemera and collectibles, with bits of courier text that tell of a young woman's emergence into adulthood in the '20s. College life, Greenwich Village, Paris, scandal, Russian princes -- it's all here. The story is clichéd and far-fetched, and there are annoying typos (especially egregious since Frankie, the person supposedly writing the text, is supposed to be a brilliant writer and even is employed as a copy editor at one point) but still, I love it. (Thank you, Sue!)

No comments:

Post a Comment